These past three weeks have zoomed by!
Alex and I were on Winter Break from law school, and start back full force tomorrow morning. Over the break we had a few exciting relationship landmarks. First, we decided to move in together and made the transition 3/4 of the way done (we still have a few items to move from my old apartment). Second, we rescued a puppy from the Denver Animal Shelter (@hollythepupster). You can follow her adventures, growth spurts (there have already been a few), and trouble making moments on Instagram! Becoming a dog mom has been extremely rewarding…and extremely challenging. Holly is an adorable, athletic, high-energy, hungry, and smart puppy. She has mastered escaping her cage, stealing food out of the fridge and off counters, learning to go outside to go potty (most of the time), and being the fastest pup at the dog park. She tests my patience, gives me a lot of love and friendship, and is an amazing addition to our newly shared household. We love her so much and can’t wait to see her grow. That being said, with law school starting up and her separation anxiety still occurring, we are a little worried for putting a new, new schedule on her…but with anything we look forward for progress and continue to adapt!
Holly makes me even MORE active…which means I can eat all the lasagna rollups, right?! Today, Holly and I went for a morning run (our first together), and she was amazing! We finished 3 miles and were both pooped. A few hours later, we headed to the dog park for some Olympic speed laps around the park and races with other fast pups, which left her snoozing in the car! Leaving her tired out made me feel like I should win a gold medal.
With all the exercise and energy exerted, Alex and I made a recipe he found on Facebook… definitely outside of my normal veggie and tofu diet, but OH SO GOOD. Recently, I’ve been introducing dairy (via cheese) back into my diet to try and fight lactose intolerance. So far, I’ve been approximately 90% successful! I’m excited to share with you all a new splurge favorite (warning. this is not a healthy, everyday meal)…
- Two (2) Eggland’s Best Organic Eggs
- Eight (8) Lasagna Noodles
- One (1) Bag of Breadcrumbs
- One (1) Cup Ricotta Cheese
- Half (1/2) Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Four (4) Cloves Fresh Garlic
- Half (1/2) Cup Spinach and Mushrooms
- Chives, Oregano, and Garlic Powder for seasoning
- Half (1/2) Cup Red Sauces for dipping
- One (1) Cup Vegetable Oil for frying
- Bring a pot to a boil to get the noodles all noodley! Boil for about 7 minutes.
- Saute the mushrooms and spinach in a pan with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder.
- While the noodles are noodling…
- Wisp two eggs in one bowl
- Put the bread crumbs in a separate bowl next to the eggs
- Mix the ricotta cheese, garlic, and chives/oregano in a separate bowl
- Before the next steps, bring the vegetable oil to a medium heat
- Once the noodles are done, line them on a cooking sheet:
- Spread the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top
- Add the sauted mushrooms and spinach
- Roll each topped noodle into a “rollup” (see below)
- Dip both sides of the rolled noodle in the egg mixture (cover)
- Dip both sides of the rolled, eggy noodle in the bread crumbs (cover). Repeat rolling and dipping steps for each topped noodle
- Once the noodles are rollups:
- Transfer the rollups to the frying pan
- Cook evenly on one side for two minutes, then flip!
- Cook evenly on the other side for two minutes
- While the rollups are frying, heat up the red sauce and pour into a bowl for dipping, then:
- Transfer your rollups to a plate, dip, and enjoy!
To make the splurge healthier, add a spinach salad with minimal dressing, eat only one and savor every bite! Or, go all out (like I did) with a glass of wine, and let Sunday be a day of running, dog chasing, studying, and rollup-ing. 😉
With a not-so-healthy, oh-so-yummy Sunday night dinner, I’m excited to whip myself back into healthy eating habits. Starting tomorrow through Friday, Fit Approach and Eggland’s Best are kicking off Week Two of #IAmEmpowered 2017, challenging everyone to set goals, get moving, cook healthy, and start 2017 off (and finish it) with a bang. Join us for a week of #EB2017Goals, healthy recipes, workout tips, and more. Follow along on Instagram, the Challenges Page, and add your #IAmEmpowered filter for extra Instagram fun!
- MONDAY: Let’s talk goals for #MotivationMonday! Show us a new workout, word, quote, or theme you will take into the New Year to motivate you to #sweatpink all year long! @EgglandsBest @FitApproach #EBGoals2017 #sweatpink #EgglandsBest #IAmEmpowered
- TUESDAY: New year, new you is universal fit-theme, especially in the #sweatpink community! What will you do to support your fellow sweaty sisters / partner / family to to achieve their 2017 health and fitness goals? #EBGoals2017 @EgglandsBest @FitApproach #sweatpink #EgglandsBest #IAmEmpowered
- WEDNESDAY: Meal prep will keep you on track with your healthy goals. Show us your meal prep in action this week or what dish you’re making that will have leftovers for meal prep in the days to come! #EBGoals2017 @EgglandsBest @FitApproach #sweatpink #EgglandsBest #IAmEmpowered
- THURSDAY: Healthy eating is essential to feeling good in the New Year. What’s your favorite healthy dish that fuels your workout or your workday? Bonus points if you #putaneggonit! #EBGoals2017 @EgglandsBest @FitApproach #sweatpink #EgglandsBest #IAmEmpowered
- FRIDAY: On Friday we get fit with friends! Grab a friend and #stopdropandyoga, go for a #runch, or do a HIIT circuit on your work break! Show us how you and your sweaty partner in crime are getting sweaty and strong at the end of the week! #EBGoals2017 @EgglandsBest @FitApproach #sweatpink #EgglandsBest #IAmEmpowered #FitFriday #FitFam
Enjoy and rest up for an empowered week!